K-or-K

A place for me to share photos, trips and projects with my friends, mostly about knitting,kayaking, and quilting.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Ta-Da! Handspun Sock

Note I didn't say "socks." I'm only 50% finished with these. I posted earlier about spinning for this pair of socks, but just to show the difference between the fiber and the finished product:





I used 2 plies from the Louet Northern Lights top (Picasso colorway), and added a strand of bright blue wooly nylon, courtesy of Janis. I just adore the result. The sock reminds me of some of the colorways available in sock yarns when I first started knitting socks in the mid-90's. I made no effort to control the color, I just took what I got.

The yarn is about 12 wpi (sport/dk range), knitted at a fingering gauge (8.25 st/in) on 2.75mm double points. It's a hefty sock. Now to cast on the second one......

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:52 AM, Blogger hem said...

Love the socks!

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Very nice. and interesting too. I would have guessed the yarn would be brighter coloured, going by the roving.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Liz said...

Nice sock! I experimented with doing the same thing with some corriedale. I plied two strands with one strand of wooly nylon. The yarn looked a little weird because the nylon didn't stretch as much as the wool but when I knit a swatch, it looked beautiful. For my next trick (or experiment), I plan to blend some corriedale or romney with some mohair. I hear that makes a stronger yarn suitable for socks. We'll see how that works.

Not surprising that we're trying similar things. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home